In 1864, Eloy Lecanda has founded the winery that symbolizes the golden legend of Spanish red wine. Throughout its long history, it has belonged to different owners, although it has always maintained an unquestionable personality, making concentrated, mature, generous and extremely elegant wines. Since 1982, the winery is owned by the Álvarez Mezquíriz family, who has developed a policy of harmonisation of present innovative techniques required by the wine sector with the traditional winemaking process. Under the management of Pablo Álvarez, the family has continued to make further investments in its winemaking business: in 1991 the Alión Winery was set up with 100 hectares in the Ribera del Duero region, the Tokaj Oremus Winery in Hungary, with 120 hectares was acquired in 1993 and finally, in 1997, the Pintia Winery, with 96 hectares, was established in the Spanish region of Toro. Their latest business venture started in 2004, when Benjamin de Rothschild and the Álvarez family decided to become associates and created a new winery in "La Rioja” intent on producing a wine that would live up to the expectations it would awaken.